Pregnancy meditation can help you reduce stress and alleviate many physiological symptoms of pregnancy like morning sickness, high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia), heartburn, lack of sleep, and more. If you choose to practice a daily meditation throughout your pregnancy, you will increase your connection with your baby and you will feel more empowered as a mother to be able to raise and nourish your little angel.
I personally found that just taking some time everyday to focus on your pregnancy, can make a big difference. During each one of my three pregnancies, I meditate daily especially in preparation for birth.
Pregnancy meditation is very useful in preparing your for childbirth and many women use meditation during labour to help them focus, release fear and find power. Also, while you practice pregnancy meditation, you learn how to use deep breathing to help you reach a deep state of relaxation, which is the key in achieving an easy and empowering birthing experience.
What is Pregnancy Meditation?
Pregnancy meditation is the ability to focus the mind to achieve a state of peace, stillness and deep relaxation, though imagery and breathing techniques. Meditating during pregnancy is the most important thing you can do for you and your baby because when you take the time to feel fully relaxed, the oxygen supply to your baby increases.
The time you spend during a meditation is also important in helping you connect to your unborn baby. It is a time of nurturing, a time of peace and a time of allowing. This is the time were you are not in control, you allow life to unfold itself in its most magnificent way. Your pregnancy is a time of love, reflection and care. Take fifteen to twenty minutes a day to take care you your whole body, mind and spirit, to renew and let go of worries and stress.
Why Pregnancy Meditation
The physiological benefits of pregnancy meditation are transmitted directly to the baby in your womb. When you are meditating and feel at ease, peaceful and relaxed, you communicate theses very same feeling to your unborn baby. Meditation influences the production of beneficial neurohormones and neurotransmitters.
Pregnancy meditation should be part of your prenatal health because it has the ability to contribute to hormonal balance and immune system support.
Benefits of Pregnancy Meditation
1. Decreasing stress.
2. Producing endorphines which reduce physical pain.
3. Increasing production of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone), which stimulates the production of T and B lymphocytes, thus supporting the immune system. DHAE also makes you feel better and enhances brain biochemistry, preventing sadness and depression before and after birth.
4. Decreasing the production of adrenalin and cortisol.
5. Increasing the levels of melatonin, thus supporting the immune system, increase quality of sleep, and improved mood.
6. Increasing the production of endorphins, which have a very strong pain-relieving effect in preparation for childbirth. The more time devoted to the practice of prenatal meditation the higher the level of endorphines at birth. Endorphin production is important to a woman in avoiding the risks of medical intervention.
7. Preventing pre-eclampsia. Meditation can be very effective in lowering blood pressure and hearth rate, lowering the risk of pre-eclampsia and potential preterm brain damage.
8. Eliminating negative emotions, which if prolonged can affect your baby's development in uterus.
9. Releasing fear of labour by empowering you though the process of childbirth. You learn that each contraction is the biological way your baby communicates with you to tell you when he or she is coming. Facing each contraction with the power of deep relaxation and not with fear is the key to achieving natural childbirth.
10. Increasing milk production, and preventing postpartum depression. It is important to learn how to be present, be in the moment and love yourself and your baby unconditionally.
Preparing for Labour
There is no doubt that a relaxed, confident woman can give birth with ease. When you practice pregnancy meditation daily, you are actually setting your body to reach a deep state of relaxation and you reinforce the positive powers of deep breathing, which will help you during birthing.
Allowing all your fears to be released and just experience the powerful moment of creation, you will be able to be more relaxed during labour and more confident in your body's ability to deliver your baby as you desire. If the fear of the pain is what holds you back, just tell your body that you are so relaxed and that's why your birth will be easy.
Mantra and Chanting
Mantra or chanting is often practiced during the meditative state and it can help you focus during labour. You may choose a single word or sound that when repeated over and over, occupies your mind, gives you strength and creates a vibration that permeates your entire being.
Chanting during pregnancy also prepares the baby from the sound and vibration he or she will recognize and respond positively to. I like to repeat the sentence: "I love you" over and over. Your baby will know how much love he or she will be receiving after birth and this will increase the quality of your relationship from the start.
Baby's born from mothers that practice daily meditation are said to have less complications after birth and during postpartum.
While you practice your daily meditation, you can use a picture or visual image that helps you collect your thoughts and stay present in the present moment. Imagine something that immediately puts you in a peaceful state. Use meditation music, candles and essential oils like Lavender and Jasmine to induce calm and a sense of wellness. You can use the same techniques during labour as well.
Many new moms fear for their health and the health of their baby, during their pregnancy. If you experience anxiety for not known how things will turn out. Please, remember that pregnancy is a very natural process and your body is very capable of carrying and delivering a healthy baby.
Pregnancy meditation when practiced daily can help you achieve a deep state of relaxation similar to self-hypnosis which will prepare your mind and body to an easy birthing experience. Practice slow, deep breathing counting up to 4 and then back down to 0. This breathing pattern, when practiced for 3-5 times in a row, simulates the length of a contraction and prepares your birthing muscles for labour.
Pregnancy And Delivery Program
If you want to follow a more specific designed for pregnant moms, I recommend The Healthy Pregnancy And Delivery Program. This unique mind-body program gives you a little time per day for yourself to use proven meditation techniques to reduce stress during each trimester of your pregnancy and delivery.
Did you know that high levels of stress during pregnancy can cause low birth weight and premature labour?
The program uses a combination of music and relaxation words that induce optimum physical relaxation and mental stress release in your body and mind. The visualizations included in this program are an excellent way to bond with your baby and prepare you mind and body for a pain free delivery.
Return To Pregnancy To Childbirth Home Page
Jul 15, 15 08:34 PM
These positive affirmations for birth and delivery will help you focus on your birth and prepare mentally and emotionally.
Jul 02, 15 07:54 AM
Massage during pregnancy can help ease many discomforts of the mother-to-be. Pregnancy massage can be received in all stages of pregnancy and it is quite safe.
Jun 30, 15 09:06 AM
Herbs for pregnancy and conception. Learn which herbs are safe during pregnancy and which should be avoided if you are trying to get pregnant.